Saturday, October 9, 2010

Life Lesson #10

connecting with tumblr

For as long as I can remember, my parents have stressed to me the importance of finishing what I start. This has not only included completing tasks, but also not being wishy washy, constantly changing my mind(though this one I kind of fail at). I was reminded on Friday the importance of this simple but age old advice.

On Friday I had an interview at the MFC in the library at 2pm. Knowing my habit of being late, I decided to go early. It was interesting how everything played out. I ended up going 10 minutes later than I initially decided, and walked a different route than I normally would to the library. Right in front of Cafe Strada, I was stopped by a lady who looked to be a couple of years older than me. Maybe it was because I was a short asian like her, or because I wasn’t rushing by her or because I made eye contact with her but she stopped me to ask if I knew where 2251 College was. I basically told her I did not but that she was on College now. She thanked me, and began to walk down college towards the units.

As I crossed the street, I noticed the address sign 2300 with an arrow pointing down the street. Realizing the lady was going the wrong direction, I didn’t know what to do. I looked on the campus map, was able to find 2251 and looked at my cell phone. I had 15 minutes to get to my interview in Moffitt. Realizing I would never feel good knowing this lady was going to get further and further lost, I turned around and started to run trying to find her. I caught up to her as she was about to cross the street to Underhill, told her I found where her class was, and walked with her back to campus. We started to talk (her name is Yin-Yang) and I round out she was actually a visiting research student in the Political Science department(my major) specializing in East Asia Comparative Politics (what I want to emphasize in). What are the chances of that happening? We had a really good talk, and I got to my interview at exactly 2:00. Even after my interview(a post for another day) I could not stop from thinking about this experience. I don't know why it affected me as much as it did but I think it was a great reminder to not let the stress and day to day grind of life stop me from a simple lifestyle of compassion, kindness and care for others.

1 comment:

Connie said...

I like this post.
:)